Travel Nursing Hospital
ranking will be averaged and updated on a continual basis. The highest score for
a hospital is 100.
Travel Nursing Hospital Review of: Mercy Medical Center, Merced
Feel free to rank any
hospital. You are not limited to the ones below.
(within 1 year)
|1. Friendliness and acceptance of travelers by staff||4.4||5.0|
|2. How open are they to allowing you to expand your skills while traveling?||4||4.0|
|3. Hospital Technology||3.8||4.0|
|4. Location (A nice area to live)||3.2||3.0|
|5. Cafeteria food||3.4||4.0|
|7. Physical layout of hospital effecient||4.4||5.0|
|8. Hospital appeal (looks)||5||5.0|
|9. Hospital orientation geared toward travelers?||3.6||4.0|
|10. Simplicity being initiated into the system (Do you have to do lots of unneccessary paperwork, drug testing, criminal background checks, etc. in addition to what the agency requires before you can start working?)||3.2||2.0|
|11. Reputation of the hospital||3.6||3.0|
|12. How nice are the doctors to staff||4.4||4.0|
|13. Friendliness of staffing office||4||4.0|
|14. Happy with the work scheduling procedure?||3.8||4.0|
|15. How efficient is their system so you can get your job done?||3.4||4.0|
|16. Adequacy of their nurse to patient ratio||3.8||4.0|
|17. How well staffed are they||2.8||4.0|
|18. How happy were you with your workload?||3.2||4.0|
|19. Staff morale (overall)||3.2||4.0|
|20. To what extent would you recommend this hospital to other travelers?||3.4||3.0|
|Total Score (number or rankings)||75(5)||78.0(1)|
Return to top of page
- I worked in the Emergency department(s) in the hospital. This hospital is very busy, population is predominantly Hispanic so knowledge of Spanish is a plus. Cyracom phones in every room and a staffed translator on site making this smoother. Pt has a lot of psych patients with a minimum of approximately 8-12 lining the hallways at any given time. plan on walking 20,000 steps plus daily for you Fitbit users. I felt pharmacy was a little cumbersome to work with. This hospital would benefit by having a transporter team because the ED techs were highly over stretched trying to be assertive with ED tasks d/t having to continually transport patients to the floors. Merced is somewhat a rough town but gives you nice access to Yosemite. This is a Dignity Health facility which requires you to do a ton of education modules prior to arrival which are unpaid, I think I did over 50 being at least 1/2 to one hour in length (do the math). This hospital does not do the overtime over 8 hrs which is what most people like about California hospitals. Very friendly staff. 08/22/2018 Housing was approximately 19 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Arena RV Park. Housing was located in city of Chowchilla. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 2. This RV park was pretty low class, bad management. Saw tons of cockroaches and wouldn't you guess, when I got to my next contract I started finding baby cockroaches and also found out I had mice in my RV which I'm sure I got from this park, because there was a little cabin right accross my RV spot which the manager lived in and was know to be full of mice. Spend the extra money and stay at the Lakes RV park about $900 mo. Arena was $650
- I worked in the telemetry department(s) in the hospital. The staff here is incredible. This is the best group of people I have EVER worked with. Excellent team work. I was floated a few times to m/s floors and people were very nice there as well. I feel if each tele and m/s unit had at least 3 cna's working every shift it would change the culture of the units a lot and decrease the perm staff turnover. Tele and m/s have 36-38 pts per floor I believe. CNAs are pulled frequently to be sitters, they do not have pt companions or dedicated sitters or a float pool for them. If all the CNAs are pulled to be sitters then the RNs revert to primary care with no decrease in ratios unfortunately. There is sometimes a resource nurse, and charge nurses are almost always helpful. It's CA and tele so ratios 1:4. The days where we were fully staffed with a resource and 3 CNAs were awesome. But I think that has happened only 2-3x. There is almost always a unit clerk, and they use tele techs. Great people but the pt turnover and load can be VERY overwhelming. Most days I was *running* the whole shift. And charting for a half hour after my shift. They use Cerner. If ED cannot get a hold of you for report immediately they call your charge and bring the pt on up.
This unit manager was very fair, friendly, and well liked by the perm staff. She sees the big picture and does not micromanage. She was once a staff nurse so she knows how difficult this unit can be. Overall, I would consider coming back because of the great people. And the pay was nice too :) 12/02/2016 Housing was approximately 45 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Live Oak. Housing was located in city of Modesto. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 5. Live Oak in Modesto was an awesome complex but I did not enjoy the 1 hour commute. They had citrus and olive trees, as well as lots of other mature trees and landscaping. Completely renovated beautiful units, granite in the kitchen and bathroom and in a park like setting. Resort-like pool and a community garden for tenants. Property mgrs friendly and easy to talk to.
- I worked in the Med surg department(s) in the hospital. The hospital is unorganized. They are very short staffed; lots of travelers at the facility. 08/16/2014 Housing was approximately 5 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was N/a. Housing was located in city of Merced. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 3. Average housing.
- I worked in the Labor & Delivery department(s) in the hospital. The hospital is a new facility. They moved into the current (new) building on May 1 of 2010. It is a beautiful facility and has all new equipment. Loved working there. Everyone was SO friendly! They went out of their way to make me feel at home, inviting me out to social functions, making me a part of the department culture. Was a great place to work. Lived in a 55+ complex 7 miles from the hospital. Nice quiet place, wonderful apartments, duplexes, etc. Two swimming pools, four hot tubs, a community center/craft house. Lots of classes, activities, etc. 05/09/2012 Housing was approximately 7 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Castle Wood . Housing was located in city of Atwater, CA. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4. I always arrange my own housing, as I feel I can come out farther ahead financially that way. I chose to live in a 55+ community as I work nights, and thought it would be quieter in a senior community. I loved the housing, the pool (1/2 block from my front door) officially opened at 9:00 AM, but they knew I worked nights and let me swim at 8:00 AM when I got home from work. Loved the whole set up at Castle Wood. Had a three bedroom, two bath duplex with garage, fenced in patio, garden area. Loved it!
- I worked in the Obstetrics department(s) in the hospital. Worked night shift. Rest of the night shift staff was VERY friendly and always helpful. Lots of fun to work with the staff, really took an interest in employees. Loved my experience there! 02/26/2012 Housing was approximately 7 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was CastleWood. Housing was located in city of Atwater, CA. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 5.
Click here for advertising info