Travel Nursing Hospital
ranking will be averaged and updated on a continual basis. The highest score for
a hospital is 100.
Travel Nursing Hospital Review of: Grand strand regional medical center
Feel free to rank any
hospital. You are not limited to the ones below.
(within 1 year)
|1. Friendliness and acceptance of travelers by staff||2.3||3.0|
|2. How open are they to allowing you to expand your skills while traveling?||1.9||2.5|
|3. Hospital Technology||2.3||3.0|
|4. Location (A nice area to live)||3||3.0|
|5. Cafeteria food||2||2.5|
|7. Physical layout of hospital effecient||2.4||3.0|
|8. Hospital appeal (looks)||3.2||2.5|
|9. Hospital orientation geared toward travelers?||2.5||2.0|
|10. Simplicity being initiated into the system (Do you have to do lots of unneccessary paperwork, drug testing, criminal background checks, etc. in addition to what the agency requires before you can start working?)||2.1||2.0|
|11. Reputation of the hospital||2.5||2.5|
|12. How nice are the doctors to staff||2.6||2.0|
|13. Friendliness of staffing office||2.6||3.0|
|14. Happy with the work scheduling procedure?||2.3||3.0|
|15. How efficient is their system so you can get your job done?||1.9||2.5|
|16. Adequacy of their nurse to patient ratio||2.2||2.5|
|17. How well staffed are they||1.9||2.5|
|18. How happy were you with your workload?||2.1||2.5|
|19. Staff morale (overall)||1.6||2.5|
|20. To what extent would you recommend this hospital to other travelers?||1.5||2.5|
|Total Score (number or rankings)||46.6(10)||51.5(2)|
Return to top of page
- I worked in the PCU department(s) in the hospital. 1:4 ratio here but not that critical of patients, just busy. The unit is old and out of date. Majority of staff was great but I did see some favoritism and only a couple CNA's were actually helpful. The charting system was old school meditech. The manager was awesome and took care of things when needed. Scheduling was fair. Lots of travelers. Physicians were not that nice especially cardiac Dr S. They could never keep perm staff in CVICU due to him treating nurses like trash. No cafe available on night shift, other wise the food was good. They were adding to the tower when I was there so now there are 2 extra floors. I would recommend this unit, I can not speak for other areas of the hospital as I did not float and I would return. 10/18/2018 Housing was approximately 12 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was NA. Housing was located in city of Conway. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 5. I stayed with a friend in her home in Conway. The city of Conway is quaint with nice little shops and restaurants. Lots to do in MB. The beach, brookgreen gardens always has something going on. Murrel's has a marsh walk with festivities, there are a few state parks close by, pawley's IS, Calabash, cherry grove, and main street in NMB are great places. There is usually always some kind of festival to attend. I highly recommend going to Charleston and savannah Ga if you have the chance.
- I worked in the OR department(s) in the hospital. Unsafe working conditions, always hurrying staff for turn over. Pt consent not as stated procedure to be performed, told by charge nurse to take the patient back anyway. Very short staff, no breaks, was told SC is a right to work state, hit the road if you don't like it. Management not supportive or given proper orientation, all they want you to do is sign all compliance paperwork, then on day 2, you are on your own. Staff moral is horrible, too burn out to care. Doctors were difficult to work with. 02/10/2018 Housing was approximately 8 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was KOA . Housing was located in city of Myrtle. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 3. Campground has a lot of pine trees.
- I worked in the pcu department(s) in the hospital. Note: I was a staff nurse here but talked with and am still friends with travelers who worked there along with me.
I worked in PCU. Ratios were usually 2 techs to 24 pt and 5 pt for nurses with the charge taking 4. Patient acuity was very bad and many patients should have been in the unit. 2nd day cabg pt, insulin drips, lots of vents, titrating dopamine/ dobutamine along with "normal" pcu pt.
They use an old version of meditech which is horrible to work with and very hard to learn. They also dont chart by exception and have q2hour charting.
Myrtle Beach has enough nightlife, dining, shopping and activities to keep you interested for an assignment or 2.
09/20/2017 Housing was approximately NA mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was NA. Housing was located in city of NA. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 3. Be careful choosing housing. Myrtle Beach has some sketchy neighborhoods and some fantastic ones as well
- I worked in the NeuroScience ICU department(s) in the hospital. I was floated a lot for the first 9 weeks I was there. Out of 9 weeks I worked on my home unit 7 times. When Interviewed, I was told that I would never float because of how busy it would be. I was also told that I would get block scheduling. They would not place either one in my contract, but assured me that I was being hired for Neuro ICU. Half way through the contract, all of the travelers were let go, except for me, which they kept me until the end of my contract. 4 travelers were let go with 2 weeks notice after they had paid deposits, moved, and rent. Some having to pick up and go from South Carolina to Texas with 2 weeks notice. Again, after being assured of how busy it was going to be. The staff is friendly and welcoming and helpful. Lots of newer nurses. Lots of turnover in management. Like 4 directors in 2 years type of turnover. They will call travelers off and then call you back in to staff other units. They do pay your regular salary for being called off, but of course there is a catch. If you are called off, they can call you back within a 2 week period to make up that scheduled shift. So if you are called off a shift, for the next 2 weeks you can be called in on your off days. If you don't don't go in, then its marked as a refused shift and you will not be paid for the day that you were called off. I got called off 6 times during the contract. If you do have a call off shift, you will get paid on it, but paperwork has to be filed and sent to HCA and it takes 3 weeks to be paid on that shift. So when called off, you will have a short check, then a regular check, then a big check. If you are called off twice in one week, the check is really short. Patients are lots of chronic disease exacerbations because they didn't bring their medication with them on vacation. 09/19/2017 Housing was approximately 27 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Carrollwoods RV Park. Housing was located in city of Conway. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4. We travel nurse out of an RV so its a bit different than traveling with standard housing. We were there during vacation season so we had to stay pretty far out to get any kind of a good rate.
- I worked in the Emergency department(s) in the hospital. Where to begin....there was a recent change in management a few months before I started and it appears almost the entire nursing staff followed the previous manager.
Nurse to patient ratio: between 4-1 and 8-1. There were many days I feared for my license. And you can forget about going 1-1 with a critical patient...not happening.
Charge Nurses: The charge nurse sits at the desk and literally does not move the entire shift. This person answers EMS calls and...hmmm....not sure what else. The whole shift you are harassed by the charge nurse asking why you have not discharged this person or called report on that person. There was one day I was pulled out of a 35 yo full arrest with only 4 of us in the room and literally yelled at to discharge patients because they did not want to look bad for the following shift. All the charge nurses only take the charge assignment or the trauma assignment. They are so out of touch with reality when it comes to the rest of the assignments and have insanely unrealistic expectations.
Lunches: ???? What's that?! They expect you to relive each other. That means taking on between 8 and 16 patients so someone else can eat. Needless to say, I frequently got paid an extra 30 min a shift.
Techs: Again what techs?!?! Usually you would have 1-2 techs a shift. 1 immediately gets assigned to triage. If you are lucky that leaves 1 tech for the entire ER.....good luck finding him/her....you are alone
For the sake of your sanity and liver, seriously consider before you take an assignment here....this place will suck the soul out of you!!!!!!
Every day I went to work here
07/14/2015 Housing was approximately 12 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Pirateland. Housing was located in city of Myrtle Beach. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4. I took my own housing in Pirateland, a campground. I loved it!!!
- I worked in the cardiac lab department(s) in the hospital. You never know how many hours in a day work will be, sometimes 45 min a day to 19 hours with only lunch break, and standing all day. this place will do a cardiac cath on a chicken.they will stent anything to get their numbers up.apparently they do not care too much for women, the mental abuse from the director, coordinator and 85% of the docs is enough for a federal investigation. Bullying is a "FEDERAL CRIME" Saturdays and Sundays are just another work day, with the workload of 3 labs, all set with one team. you may spend an average of 10-16 hours a day on the weekends. One lab does not even have a temporary pacer and Dan the coordinator is fully aware, but it still goes by. One poor tech has over 75 hours in one week. She was told that orientation people could not go home, and had to work all cases. She has become brain dead on several occasions, has swollen ankles and walking has become painful on many occasions. The coordinator and the manager must have a secret on each other,because their actions are so unprofessional, I believe that the manager who is female may be in looking to further her palace in the hospital by thwarting her self at the docs. Dan is just pathetic, nothing more to say other than pathetic,
so, if you want to work in one of the most hostile, threatening, and most unrewarding places on earth go to GRAND STAND MEDICAL CENTER, and work in the cardiac cath lab. I promise you will be treated POORLY. You will be ABUSED.
01/31/2015 Housing was approximately 8 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was vrob. Housing was located in city of myrtle beach. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 2.
- I worked in the cath lab department(s) in the hospital. be wary of coordinator and manager. incompetent and self gratifying. don't like women and are bullies, do not do timeouts.... very one sided towards male staff. stressful,be ready to stand 10-12 hours a day w/ only lunch break while regular staff sits all day. LIE ABOUT HOURS WHEN NO CASES, TOLD MY COMPANY I ASKED FOR DAY OFF, BEWARE OF THIS ONE.
01/25/2015 Housing was approximately 10 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was R&R. Housing was located in city of Myrtle Beach. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 3. Found my own Plenty of housing
- I worked in the OR department(s) in the hospital. I would never recommend this hospital to anyone. If it wouldn't cost me an enormous fee I would break this contract. I didn't get everything in writing ( I know better!!!) and nothing that was discussed during phone interview is true. They said one or two days of weekend call. I have been on call EVERY weekend. I stressed the importance-to me- of opportunities to scrub and was told that I could. Flat out lie, then the manager claimed that we never talked about it. There are a few nice staff but most of them are set-up artists and tattle tales. If you so much as sneeze they run to mgmt and tell. Other travelers that were here felt the same. We all agreed, none of us would extend even if they offered a huge bonus. 09/18/2013 Housing was approximately 6 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Ocean Creek. Housing was located in city of Myrtle Beach. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 5. I secured my own housing which was fairly easy since there are thousands of rentals due to being a vacation spot
- Housing was approximately 4 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Magnolia Pointe. Housing was located in city of Myrtle Beach. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4. 11/15/2012 Excellent place, close to hospital. I rented thru Palmetto Vacation Rentals, very easy to work with.
- I worked in the ER department(s) in the hospital. I worked in ER. Tech were told they did not have to help travelers. Travelers given worse assignments and dumped on to the point of being unsafe. Told multiple times by staff they did not want to be friends with people who did not have a permanent house in area. No ancillary help...no transport..no rt unless coding...no techs... 10/03/2012 Housing was approximately 3 mile(s) from the hospital. The name of the housing complex was Arbor isa. Housing was located in city of Myrtle. Beach. On a scale from 1 to 5, I would rate it a 4. The housing was good. Gym..pool..parking..safe and quiet...avoid hospital
Click here for advertising info